Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Cloverfields of gold!


I was lucky enough to be offered a free ticket to see Cloverfield.

Generally I don't turn down anything that is free. Fresh air, breathing, a bath, all free, and all things I rather enjoy, so I thought I would take up the free offer and pop along for a look. And might I say, I am glad I did take up the offer of seeing Cloverfield for free as I rather enjoyed it, even if I did spend half the film with my headphones in as the sound was SO FECKIN LOUD.

You get dropped into this bunch of peoples lives as the entire film is shot through the lens of someones Camcorder but there are no Witches and no Blairs, not even Leo. I must say, it was a bit like a long clip that you would see on You've Been Framed, god rest his soul.

And so there it starts. You are at a party in someones Manhatten flat when all hell breaks lose in NYC. Things blow up, head get ripped off, it goes dark, buildings collapse, people scream, aliens attack, guns fire, people scream, helicopter helicopt, bridges get destroyed, people get rescued, some people die, tanks get trodden on, little aliens bite, people get eaten, planes bomb, sirens scream, love get involved, familys mourn, people get impregnanted, and then he film ends. Simple as that.

It was actually really nice to have a film that didn't have a big story to get lost in. There was no start, middle, end. There weren't lots of characters to annoy you. There were no morals dished out like on He-Man. It was just a big slice of filty Sci Fi nonsense.

And thanks very much Mr J.J. Abrams, you have answered a question I have had going through my mind for ages - I wonder what would happen if a big lizard like alien suddenly took a dislike to New York and everyone in New York? Now I know.

NYC'ya!

No comments: