Friday, February 22, 2008

99p


I was thinking this morning as i purchased a bottle of water from my local shop - Why are things 99p? or £1.99? or £4.99?

Why are they not £1? or £2? or £5?

Is there a reason?

I am sure if you asked most people they would rather not have the hassle of waiting for the 1p change. And surely wasn't it the reason that bigger denominations of money were made in the first place? So we didn't have to carry around loads of little money to make up bigger amounts.

I can only think there is another reason.

After all, you wouldn't be able to say 'find a penny, pick it up, and all day, you'll have good luck' if we didn't have 1p's, and that would sadden me.

3 comments:

Matt Hallett said...

Sadly I know the answer to this...and it's a bit boring.

It was made .99 years ago so the cashier had to ring it through the till and give change. Before then they often tended to take the rounded figure (£1, £5, £10, etc) and just stuff it in their pocket. And because it never went through the till the sale wasn't registered and the owner couldn't tell if his own staff was nicking the money or a shoplifter was nicking the goods.

Matt Hallett said...

...also did you know that everything in John Lewis is .95 ($4.95, £9.95, £49.95) so they can say they're cheaper than other shops, if only by 4p.

Never Knowingly Undersold.

All Hale said...

You are brilliant! I thank you! I thank you please!