Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Invent ting.


Over dinner last night the lady and I were chatting, and all of a sudden, straight out of the blue, the question came, 'when was electricity invented?' I had no real idea of the actual date it was first demonstrated, so I used the internet to surf to a website and find out. It was 1878.

Then, without let up, another question smacked me in the gob! 'When was plastic invented?' Again, no real idea, so as before, I used the internet, and found out. It was 1907 when Bakelite was first used.

I wanted more. I couldn't stop learning. The phone. 1876. Do you know why it was called the phone? It was because the inventer, Alexander Graham Bell was a Cockney, from Bow, and he had a dog that used to sit in his lab and watch him invent. Anyway, during a magical day in 1876, big Al made it all work, then exclaimed 'it shall be known as the dog n' bone' His then wife changed it to 'phone', as it rhymed with his suggestion of dog n'bone. Interesting hey?

My learning was not complete. The TV. That was first shown in 1926. Good old Peter Panasonic.

I can't tell you how good I felt after finding all this out, so that is why you are reading this as I wanted you to feel good too. I hope it worked.

Stay tuned, more interesting historical facts to come.

Learn or burn.

1 comment:

Francis said...

Mr Bell was Scottish wan' he?