Friday, January 11, 2008

I am Pretty Rubbish


I went to see I am Legend last night. I had read reviews and went to make my own mind up. Oh, and perhaps i should mention here that if you haven't seen it and are thinking of going, look away now - as they say on the news before Match of the day.

Well, as you might be able to tell from the title of this post i wasn't all that impressed at all.

I thought the first 50 minutes of it, when the Fresh Prince was on his own with his dog, were ok. There were some pretty nice scenes of empty NYC and you sort of got a feeling that he really was alone and his dog was all he had to keep him from going mad. Oh, and there was a great bit which brought back the fear of the dark like Blair Witch did. Wonderful.

But then, when the CGI zombies came out it just lost all appeal. In 28 Days and Dawn of the Dead the nasty folk where real people, running and paniking, you really were scared by what they could do to you, but when they are CGI it just doesn't work, the way they run, the way they looked, it was such a let down, and that ruined my experience.

The film did hold together in the second half, there was a great bit with zombie dogs, but i think it could and should have been so much better as an overall experience. Oh, and apparently the book is totally different.

Zombie movies are so much better on a smaller budget, or like Dusk till Dawn when it is just pointless limb ripping fun.

Anyway, go and see it if you happen to find a tenner on the floor, other than that wait until it is on Channel 5 at 9 on a Sunday.

Will Smith? I don't think he will.

1 comment:

SkyBlueSnowy said...

I concur, as my in depth movie review will testify.

What was that Bob Marley speech all about?