Monday, August 18, 2008

Game on!

And still I continue to love the Olympics, although the badminton makes me slightly nervous when I watch it.

The table tennis was incredible. They appear to be looking for opportunity to strike, as to start with it all looked very slow and hunched up, but then all of a sudden, like a cross cat, they started battering the poor little ball!

At one point one of the women was about 20 foot back and about 10 wide of the table yet was still hammering it. Here she looked more like a cross praying mantis, the hunched up cat look had gone.

And then of course the 100 metres final.

Insain Bolt thrashed the opposition! He had won it in 50 metres so then spent the next 50 meters running like a child taunting the other kids 'cause you run like this, nuh nuh nuh'. It was something magical.

And when Rebecca Addlington won her second gold medal in the swimming the commentator had the biggest bout of amnesia ever by excitedly announcing, 'I haven't seen world domination like this for years'. Bless him. He had obviously forgotten about Michael Phelps 8 gold’s in one games.

Speaking of Phelps, I thought I had to capture this.



Without the big man’s 8 golds USA would have the same gold count as us! What?

And, per person we are doing very well. If you consider populations of countries we are way ahead of China and US of Amateurs. 1 in every 21 million Chinese person has a medal, that drops to 1 in 4.6 million yanks, down to 1 in every 2.4 million for us. Unfortunately, the Aussies are doing best. 1 in 700,000 has a medal. Struth!

Hopefully all of this will encourage people that 2012 is worth all this cash we are paying. I must say, i'd rather my cash went into sport then into hospitals that are likely to close within 4 minutes of opening.

I can't wait for the final round up of the Olympics on the BBC when they do a big long montage to Spandau Ballets Gold!

I bet Tony Hadley can't wait either! Cuhching.

And as my hate for football continues, it was great to see 8 pages of Olympics before a football story in The Metro this morning!

Come on sport!

No comments: